Commitment to DiversityWe have developed diversity initiatives within Carruth to emphasize our commitment to diversity:
- Carruth provides opportunity for staff to participate in our monthly Diversity Committee. This provides opportunity to work on a variety of projects to better reach out to diverse student populations and create a welcoming environment, to work with other departments in the university on joint initiatives, and to be a part of efforts to create a climate of inclusion in our workplace.
- Carruth offers a monthly "Cultural Chit-Chat" in which we can discuss both our own diversity variables as well as the broader culture at the center. The goal is to maintain self-awareness in the context of the larger whole and to foster safety of expression.
- Each summer, we develop a "Summer Learning Series" which offers every-other-week training on a variety of topics, many of them diversity-related. Prior examples of this include: Review of APA Multicultural Guidelines, Working with Student Veterans, Working with Students of Color, Working with International Students, etc. CCPPS has also historically offered training as continuing education (CE) for staff and community on a variety of diversity topics.
- We have invited speakers with diverse backgrounds to communicate with our staff about community issues (e.g. inviting state representatives, offering Safe Zone training via the LGBTQ center, etc.).
- For our interns, we offer a multicultural seminar three times a month and allow for development of an area of special emphasis that can be diversity-focused. In years past, as a part of this special area of emphasis, interns have chosen to: co-coordinate the Diversity Committee, serve as liaisons to the LGBTQ+ center, organize the first Transgender Day of Remembrance in the state of West Virginia, have more clinical activity (groups, individual) with international students, etc.
- We are committed to advancing approaches intended to recruit and retain more diverse staff. We have a strong preference for candidates who can contribute, through their education and experience, to the diversity and excellence of the WVU community.
Diversity at West Virginia University
In its continued commitment to its students, faculty, staff and community, West Virginia University has established a Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.