Skip to main content
The Carruth Center is open, but most of our clinicians are working remotely. We are only seeing psychological and psychiatric emergencies in person at this time. For information about counseling options available to students located in West Virginia as well as students currently outside of the state, please see our COVID-19 updates page.


Our Facility


Counseling Questions

Testing Questions

Where is the Carruth Center (CCPPS) located?

The Carruth Center is located in the Health and Education building on the Evansdale campus. It is right next to the Student Recreation Center. Check in is located in room 227 on the second floor.

All of our services (Student Assistance Program, Counseling, and Psychiatry) are now located at this location.

Back to Top

What are your hours?

Counseling Appointments

Counseling appointments are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am - 7:00 pm. (Note: a limited number of evening appointments are available and they fill up quickly.) Appointments are available from 8:30 am - 4:45 pm on Fridays. Hours may be different during semester breaks or on holidays; check our  Location and Hours page for our current hours.

Student Assistance Program

8:15 am - 4:45 pm, Monday through Friday by appointment only.


8:15 am - 4:45 pm, Monday through Friday by appointment only.

Back to Top

Is parking available?

Clients may park in the gated patient lot located beside the Health and Education building. Bring your white ticket to the desk when you check-in for your appointment. We will validate your parking for you.

Back to Top

Am I eligible for services?

Any student enrolled at the university who can provide proof of eligibility and has paid the appropriate student fees is eligible for services.

Back to Top

How do I arrange to see a counselor/psychiatrist/etc.?

Counseling and Psychiatry Appointments

To access any services - counseling, psychiatry, LD or ADHD/ADD testing, or drug and alcohol education - schedule an initial intake appointment by contacting us at (304) 293-4431 during business hours (M-F, 8:15 am to 4:45 pm). 

The front staff will ask you for your name, contact information and if you require emergency assistance. You will be asked to come for a 75-90 minute appointment to complete some background information and then meet with an intake counselor.

Back to Top

How do appointments work?

The number of sessions each student needs will vary from person to person, and is based upon a collaborative understanding between the counselor and student. Additional sessions may be approved under certain circumstances. If additional sessions are requested by the student’s counselor and approved, a $25.00 service fee will be assessed for each session.

Some students may benefit from longer term or specialized treatment that is not available at the center. When students require these kinds of services, the intake/triage counselor will help them arrange counseling with outside counselors/psychologists or treatment agencies and additional fees and/or insurance coverage may be required.

Back to Top

I am a returning client. What do I do to schedule an appointment?

If you have received counseling (been assigned to a counselor and completed at least one visit) and would like to resume short term counseling, please call us at 304-293-4431 to schedule an appointment so that we can best assess your counseling needs. 

If you haven't received any services in the last six months, you must schedule an initial triage appointment by calling us at 304-293-4431.

Scheduling an appointment will ensure that the counselor you see has time to review the records of your previous care and may decrease your appointment wait time. In most cases, we will attempt to schedule your appointment with your former counselor (unless you prefer a different counselor).

Back to Top

How do I arrange for cognitive testing?

If you would like to speak with someone about being tested for Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or a learning disability, please call the Office of Accessibility Services at 304-293-6700. They will determine if our testing services are needed, and will arrange an appointment. Due to the lengthy nature of cognitive testing (several hours), these services are by appointment only.

Back to Top

Are your services confidential?

Yes. We take confidentiality very seriously, and will not release your protected health care information without your written consent unless presented with a court order. CCPPS records are confidential and not part of or connected in any way to your academic records.

In rare cases, we may need to seek help from others to ensure your safety or the safety of others; in these situations, only the minimum information necessary will be shared with the appropriate persons. Prior to your first meeting with a counselor, you will receive our Informed Consent form and Notice of Privacy Practices. Please discuss these with your counselor if you have any questions or concerns.

Back to Top

Are there limits or fees to the services I can receive?

CCPPS counseling treatment philosophy is based on a brief treatment model. Counseling research and our many years of experience suggests that most students who participate in treatment services at counseling centers get the help they need within 1-4 sessions. The number of sessions each student needs will vary from person to person, and is based upon a collaborative understanding between the counselor and student. Under certain circumstances, additional sessions may be approved.

If additional sessions are requested by the student’s counselor and approved, a $25.00 service fee will be assessed for each session. Group counseling sessions, however, are unlimited and will not incur a fee.

Some students may benefit from longer term or specialized treatment that is not available at the center. When students require these kinds of services, the intake/triage counselor will help them arrange counseling with outside counselors/psychologists or treatment agencies and additional fees and/or insurance coverage may be required.

Students scheduling psychiatry visits with one of our psychiatrists can expect a $25.00 service fee per visit. 

No insurance is billed at this time.

Additional services such mandated Student Assistance Program or MindFit services will require additional fees.

Back to Top

Do you prescribe medications, such as for depression?

Our psychiatry staff may prescribe medications if they believe it will benefit the student. Students should prepare to discuss their need for medication with their doctor, and be open and complete about their symptoms, medical history, and current use of other medications prior to accepting a new prescription.

Back to Top

I'm worried about a student - how can I help them?

If you are concerned about a student, be supportive and listen to their concerns and then help refer them to seek resources. There are several ways you can refer students. You can encourage the student to call Carruth at (304) 293-4431 to schedule an initial triage appointment. 

For an urgent concern, bring the student in personally to Carruth in order to meet with a counselor for an initial triage appointment during our drop-in hours on Monday through Friday from 9 am- 3 pm. If you are concerned about a student and are unsure how to help, you can also submit a referral to the CARE Team. Finally, if you are concerned about a student and it’s an evening or weekend, you can call Carruth’s crisis phone line at (304) 293-4431.

Back to Top

What if I'm in crisis?

If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, always call 911.

Psychological Emergencies (Monday through Friday 8:15 AM to 4:45 PM)

If you or someone you know is experiencing a crisis or psychological emergency when CCPPS is open (Monday – Friday, 8:15 AM to 4:45 PM), call us at 304-293-4431

If you or someone else is experiencing a potentially life-threatening situation and need immediate attention, call either 911 or the University Police Department at 304-293-2677 (COPS).

After Hours/Weekend Psychological Emergencies

If you or someone you know is experiencing a crisis or psychological emergency, call the CCPPS office at 304-293-4431 to speak with an after-hours counselor. 

Note: This service is not designed to receive or respond to messages regarding scheduling concerns or prescriptions.

If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal, the hotlines below can also provide assistance:
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK ( 1-800-273-8255)
  • Military Veterans Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK ( 1-800-273-8255). Press 1.
  • Trevor Project Hotline (LGBTQ): 1-866-4UTREVOR ( 1-866-488-7386)

Back to Top 

I'm under eighteen. Does that change confidentiality?

If you are under age 18, please note the law may provide your parents/guardians the right to provide consent for your treatment and to examine your treatment records. These laws allow for some exceptions; please discuss these with your clinician.

Back to Top

How do I know if I need counseling?

Questions, choices, concerns, and changes are all a normal part of university life. Sometimes students can work through them on their own or with the help of friends and family. Sometimes, they can feel too private, overwhelming or complicated to share with someone you know. When this is the case, talking to a counselor can provide a safe, neutral, confidential setting to explore your concerns and move toward making changes to improve your life.

What are some of the reasons students seek counseling? Students come to CCPPS for many different reasons. Counseling can help if you are experiencing any of the following:

  • Relationship Concerns 
  • Problems with school or studying 
  • Adjusting to WVU and being away from home 
  • Wanting to improve your self-confidence 
  • Wanting to improve your family or other relationship 
  • Difficulty taking care of normal “day to day” life activities 
  • Having problems with your mood 
  • Worrying to much 
  • Not fitting into the campus culture 
  • Thinking about ending your life 
  • Consuming too much alcohol or other drugs 
  • Questions about your sexuality 
  • Eating too little or too much 
  • Thinking about dropping out of WVU 
  • Recovering from unwanted sexual contact or violence 
  • Carrying a secret that you haven’t told anyone, but wish that you could 
  • Difficulty balancing the demands of student life. 
  • Questions or concerns about your racial or culture identity 
  • Grieving over the loss of someone close to you. 
It is also okay if you don’t know what you want to address; we can help you figure that out as well.

Back to Top

How do I know if I need individual or group counseling?

When you meet with a clinician during your initial intake or consultation, he or she will discuss with you the different services available and his/her recommendations given your concerns, goals and available treatment options. Sometimes students are reluctant to participate in group counseling, but in many situations this form of treatment can be more helpful than individual treatment. 

To learn more about group counseling, please visit our  Group Counseling page.

Back to Top

If I come for counseling, does it mean I'm mentally ill?

No. We offer help with a variety of issues that can feel overwhelming but are actually pretty common among college students. Some of these include adjusting to new academic demands, homesickness, dealing with parental expectations, choosing a major or career, dealing with difficult roommates, and dating/relationship issues. 

Therapy works by helping you objectively look at behaviors, feelings, and thoughts in situations you find problematic. 

Back to Top

How does counseling work, anyway?

Perhaps the best brief answer comes from the pamphlet "Talk to Someone Who Can Help" published by the American Psychological Association:

"Therapy works by helping you objectively look at behaviors, feelings, and thoughts in situations which you find problematic. It helps you to learn more effective ways of dealing with those situations. Therapy is a collaborative effort. You and your psychologist will identify your goals--what you want to have happen--and agree on how you’ll know when you’re making progress. Your psychologist will talk to you about the length of time it may take to help you see changes. Progress, and change, can happen. Nine out of ten Americans surveyed by Consumer Reports said that psychotherapy had helped them."

Back to Top

What if I have a previous diagnosis? What if I already have a prescription for a stimulant medication from a physician outside WVU? Can I just have the prescription transferred?

For a variety of reasons, we would not simply continue to prescribe without first ensuring that a recent, appropriate assessment has been conducted, as outlined in the policy above.  First, many students that present to our center have not been comprehensively assessed in the past (e.g. they were diagnosed based on self-report alone).  

In other cases, their documentation may be appropriate, but was administered so long ago that it is no longer considered valid.  Research on ADHD demonstrates that a percentage of individuals who are diagnosed earlier in life may no longer warrant this diagnosis as adults.

Given the potential health risks associated with stimulant medications, it is important that a recent, comprehensive evaluation be conducted.  In addition, other factors that could account for attention difficulties need to be ruled out, as there are a number of individuals whose difficulties are wrongly identified as an attention disorder.

Back to Top

If I undergo testing at CCPPS, will I receive a diagnosis?

There is no way to determine ahead of time whether you will receive a diagnosis. Students we see undergo a comprehensive clinical interview, as well as objective testing to assess relevant areas of cognition, executive functioning, and sustained attention and/or impulse control.

After we conduct this test, the student will be scheduled for a follow-up session with their evaluator to review the report in detail, including both the results of the assessment as well as recommendations. It is during this feedback appointment that a diagnosis, if any, would be determined.

Back to Top

If I am diagnosed with ADHD, does that mean I will be prescribed medication?

Not necessarily. The actual decision whether to prescribe is made solely by CCPPS Psychiatrists, and they consider a number of factors in their practice.

Back to Top

Do I have to have my testing performed at WVU CCPPS?

You may go anywhere you wish to be tested, so long as the report generated from this evaluation satisfies the guidelines outlined in our policy.

Back to Top

Why do things like sleep or substance use have to be considered in an evaluation?

Attention can be thought of as an aspect of functioning that can be influenced by cognitive factors, but can also be significantly influenced by a myriad other factors - motivational, emotional, and physical states – and may even fluctuate over time. Sleep is one of those areas determined to influence attention and cognitive performance in significant ways, and this is especially true for college-age students.

In one study, it was demonstrated that people who were sleep deprived were likely to make a significantly high number of errors on a wide range of cognitive tasks (and at levels that rivaled the kinds of poor performance seen when someone is intoxicated).  Their attention and processing speed were also found to be substantially diminished.  However, when these students were asked how they thought they performed, sleep deprived participants perceive themselves to be performing adequately.

Given the many factors which can significantly affect attention, we believe care should be taken to measure other domains that may better account for these issues, such as intellectual variables, sleep dysfunction, substance use, etc.

Back to Top

If I receive a diagnosis, does that automatically grant me academic accommodations?

It may provide the documentation necessary to inform decisions regarding accommodation eligibility, but it does not guarantee them.  First, that determination is not made by WVU CCPPS, but instead by the Office of Accessibility Services, which is the university department responsible for authorizing academic accommodations.  If you believe you have a learning or attention-related issue and would be eligible for such accommodations, we would encourage you to make an appointment with that office as a starting point.

Back to Top

If I do not receive a diagnosis, will I be reimbursed for the cost of testing?

Unfortunately, you would not be reimbursed.  What you are paying for is the professional time and expenses associated with this evaluation, and these costs are the same regardless of the diagnostic outcome.

Back to Top

What do I need for the day of testing?

Please be on time for your testing appointment(s). Though your appointment time may seem very long, 15 minutes can matter. It often takes the full time allotted to complete your testing and if you are late we may be forced to reschedule your appointment.

Please be rested and have breakfast or lunch before you come so that you can do your best.

If you need glasses for reading or use a hearing aid, please be sure to wear them.

If you take medication to improve your attention, and we are to assess your baseline attention problems, we recommend that you do not take the medication at least a day before your test. Many agencies request a 2 week "washout" period to ensure the accuracy and validity of their results. Though we do not require a period of 2 weeks currently, we would recommend as long as possible to improve the validity of our findings. Please speak with your prescribing psychiatrist/physician prior to abstaining from other medications.

Abstain from all non-prescribed mood/mind-altering substances prior to and on the day of testing. Ongoing use of mood/mind altering substances (cannabis, stimulants, hallucinogens, etc.) can drastically impact the testing results. If you have questions about this please talk (confidentially) with your testing clinician.

Back to Top

If I have to cancel my appointment, will I receive a refund of the testing fee?

Absolutely. Our policy is that you must call to cancel or reschedule your appointment at least 48 hours in advance.

Back to Top

Why does testing cost money?

We strive to make our testing services affordable to all.  Though we would love to provide these services free of charge, there are certain costs incurred for material expenses and professional time that are not absorbed by student fees. The fees associated with our testing services help to ensure that we can cover these costs. One only needs to research the fees associated with these services in the community to see that our pricing is actually quite low in comparison.

Back to Top

Do you take insurance?

No, we do not bill insurance.  However, in some cases your insurance carrier may reimburse you for fees associated with testing. We can provide you with the documentation that may facilitate this process. Please check with your insurance provider to determine what is covered under your policy.

Back to Top 

Stay Connected with The Carruth Center