Skip to main content

To schedule an appointment, click " Make An Appointment" during our operational hours or call 304-293-4431.

Consultation Services

The Carruth Center provides consultation services to others who are concerned about the well-being of our students. This may include faculty and staff, parents, RAs and other residence life staff. 

Anyone may contact us regarding their concerns for a student.

Parents, Guardians and Families

Parents/Guardians frequently have concerns about their students and want advice or information about available resources on campus. They often find it helpful to let our staff know their concerns, and receive suggestions about things to do or say (or not say!).

Our staff is  available to speak with you during our business hours, or after hours for emergencies. However, due to confidentiality concerns, we cannot confirm or deny any student is being seen or discuss a student’s treatment without their written consent.

If you have not already visited the Mountaineer Parents Club website, we encourage you to do so. They staff a toll-free helpline ( 1-800-WVU-0096) designed to provide direct and immediate help for parents who have questions or concerns that do not appear to fall within the typical categories of frequently called WVU numbers.

If you have any questions or concerns at any time, please review our information for  Parents/Guardians or feel free to  contact us

Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff may contact the Carruth Center if they encounter troubled students and are unsure how to help them. Simply call 304-293-4431 and ask to speak to a staff counselor. This number can also be used for after-hours emergencies.

We also work closely with the Office of Accessibility Services, should a faculty or staff member suspect a student has a learning or testing disability. Often, a referral from an instructor may tip the balance for a student who is hesitant about accepting our services.

If you are concerned about a student and it is not an immediate crisis, you can also submit a referral to the CARE Team. If this is an emergent situation or an immediate threat to self or others, please contact the following 24/7 resources. Completing a CARE referral in lieu of emergency services will delay a response.

If you are working with a student that is in a Crisis or Emergency Situation, please see our Emergency Resources.  

Our center is oriented to the needs of students. If you are a faculty or staff member who would like assistance for yourself, please contact the WVU Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, a free and confidential problem-solving resource, at  304-293-5590.