Skip to main content
The Carruth Center is open, but most of our clinicians are working remotely. We are only seeing psychological and psychiatric emergencies in person at this time. For information about counseling options available to students located in West Virginia as well as students currently outside of the state, please see our COVID-19 updates page.
  • Home
  • Information for Parents

Information for Parents

What Services does the Counseling Center Offer?

Psychological Counseling Services

Confidential counseling services (individual counseling, group counseling, crisis intervention, drug and alcohol counseling from the Student Assistance Program) are available to enrolled WVU students at no charge*. 

The Carruth Center services are meant to provide short-term assistance to students with personal, educational, and social concerns that may interfere with their academic studies. On-going counseling is available through appointments only. Initial appointments can be scheduled by calling us at 304-293-4431

During an initial appointment, the student will be referred to ongoing individual counseling, group counseling, testing, or psychiatry in the Carruth Center or to a community agency, depending on the student’s needs. Sometimes, the student finds that their concerns are addressed in the initial appointment and do not require further services at that time.

*Some services offered do have fees associated with them. Please see our fees page for more information.

Psychiatry Services

Confidential psychiatry services for medication management are available to all enrolled WVU students. There is a service fee charge of $25.00 per session; insurance is not billed for these services. Students may schedule an initial psychiatry appointment by calling us at 304-293-4431

If your student has an existing prescription for ADD/ADHD medication, the student must first determine if testing is necessary before scheduling with a psychiatrist.

What if I Know My Student Will Need Counseling?

It is not unusual for students to come to WVU having already had counseling at home. For some students, this may be the first time they may be accessing any kind of counseling. Either way, the transition to university life can sometimes prove difficult. Students and parents are both encouraged to contact our center to ask any questions regarding our services and discuss which options may be best.  

Are Services Confidential? Can I Be Involved?

Counseling can sometimes involve the divulging of extremely personal information the student may not be ready for others to know. Any information a client shares with one of the counselors is protected by West Virginia law. Information about the counseling a student receives is not released, except upon receiving written permission from the student, in circumstances which would result in a clear and present danger to the safety of the student, or others, as required by law.

It is understandable that you wish to be involved when your student seeks counseling. The best source concerning your student’s counseling is the student. If your student wishes for you to be involved in their treatment here, the student must sign a written release specifying exactly what we are allowed to communicate to you.

Why Do Students Come to Counseling?

Students may seek counseling for many reasons. Some may come to solve a longstanding problem, and others may be looking for a bit of self-discovery. Students can discuss anxiety, stress management, depression, homesickness, relationship troubles, eating disorders, roommate issues, career choices, and concerns about their family including divorce and substance abuse. There are some common occurrences for which a student may be referred for counseling:

  • Drastic changes in personal relationships – such as a death of a loved one, pregnancy, or divorce
  • Anxiety and depression – especially if the symptoms significantly impact a student’s day – to – day functioning
  • Significant changes in mood and/or behavior – withdrawal from others, unexpected or unexplained crying bouts, anger outbursts, threatening to harm themselves or others
  • Concern about academics – worrying about academic failure, thinking about dropping out, considering transferring schools

Where Can My Student Find the Counseling Center on Campus?

Health and Education Building
390 Birch Street
PO Box 6422
Morgantown, WV 26506-6422

(Easily found on the Evansdale campus adjacent to the Student Rec Center.)

Stay Connected with The Carruth Center