Skip to main content
The Carruth Center is open, but most of our clinicians are working remotely. We are only seeing psychological and psychiatric emergencies in person at this time. For information about counseling options available to students located in West Virginia as well as students currently outside of the state, please see our COVID-19 updates page.


Information for New and Transfer WVU Students

For more information on New Student Orientation, visit

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube! We post mental health tips, events, discussion groups, and mental health resources offered on campus and available to WVU students (and more!).

We have detailed information for Parents of First-Year Students

Because you’re attending a virtual New Student Orientation, you’re well aware that due to COVID 19, many events and services have had to move online or adjust to social distancing guidelines. The Carruth Center’s services are no exception.  This page will attempt to answer our most frequently asked questions at New Student Orientation, but please know this is not an exhaustive list, especially given the current circumstances.  However, rest assured that if you are a student at WVU, the Carruth Center staff will help you connect with appropriate services.

General Service Questions

ADHD/Learning Disorder Testing Questions

What is the Carruth Center?

The Carruth Center is located on the Evansdale campus and provides mental health services and support for WVU students in a short term model.  We see students for a variety of concerns including break ups, substance abuse, grief, depression, anxiety, and more.  We offer individual counseling, group counseling, ADHD/Learning Disorder testing, psychiatry, and crisis counseling.

Back to Top

I already see a therapist at home.  Should my care be transferred here?

We know that some students may be receiving counseling services prior to their arrival on campus and we want to help them transition to an appropriate provider if necessary. If you are currently seeing a professional and if they can continue to see you either in person or via telecounseling, our recommendation is that you continue with that current provider so that there are no interruptions in your care.  Counseling can be a long journey in some cases and it is best that it is not interrupted if not necessary.

Back to Top

The Carruth Center does short term counseling.  What if I need to see a counselor for a longer period of time (several semesters or years)?

If you are seeking specialized/intensive clinical services that require meeting with the same therapist beyond one semester or meeting once per week or more, we recommend receiving care by a community therapist here in Morgantown.  

Coordinating care can sometimes feel overwhelming and we want to help you with that process prior to your arrival in Morgantown. If you have questions about transitioning to a new provider, please call and ask to speak with one of our Case Managers (304-293-4431).

Back to Top

How do I arrange to see a counselor or psychiatrist?

To access any services - counseling, psychiatry, LD or ADHD/ADD testing, or drug and alcohol education - schedule an initial intake appointment by contacting us at (304) 293-4431 during business hours (M-F, 8:15 am to 4:45 pm). 

The front staff will ask you for your name, contact information and if you require emergency assistance. You will be asked to come for a 75-90 minute appointment to complete some background information and then meet with an intake counselor.  

If, due to the COVID 19 pandemic, counselors must provide telecounseling services instead of in person services, students will be able to call (304) 293-4431 during business hours (M-F, 8:15 am to 4:45 pm) to schedule an appointment.  Some presenting concerns may not be appropriate for telecounseling services and your counselor and/or our case managers can help connect you to appropriate services.

Back to Top

Are your services confidential?

Yes. We take confidentiality very seriously, and will not release your protected health care information without your written consent unless presented with a court order. CCPPS records are confidential and not part of or connected in any way to your academic records.

In rare cases, we may need to seek help from others to ensure your safety or the safety of others; in these situations, only the minimum information necessary will be shared with the appropriate persons. Prior to your first meeting with a counselor, you will receive our Informed Consent form and Notice of Privacy Practices. Please discuss these with your counselor if you have any questions or concerns.

Back to Top

Are there limits or fees to the services I can receive?

The Carruth Center counseling treatment philosophy is based on a brief treatment model. Counseling research and our many years of experience suggest that most students who participate in treatment services at counseling centers get the help they need within 1-4 sessions. The number of sessions each student needs will vary from person to person, and is based upon a collaborative understanding between the counselor and student. Under certain circumstances, additional sessions may be approved.

  • If additional sessions are requested by the student’s counselor and approved, a $25.00 service fee will be assessed for each session. Group counseling sessions, however, are unlimited and will not incur a fee.

  • Some students may benefit from longer term or specialized treatment that is not available at the center. When students require these kinds of services, the intake/triage counselor will help them arrange counseling with outside counselors/psychologists or treatment agencies and additional fees and/or insurance coverage may be required.

  • Students scheduling psychiatry visits with one of our psychiatrists can expect a $25.00 service fee per visit. 

  • No insurance is billed at this time.

  • Additional services such as mandated Student Assistance Program or MindFit services will require additional fees.

Back to Top

Do you prescribe medications for issues like depression or anxiety?

Our psychiatry staff may prescribe medications if they believe it will benefit the student. Students should prepare to discuss their need for medication with their doctor, and be open and complete about their symptoms, medical history, and current use of other medications prior to accepting a new prescription.

Back to Top

I’m under eighteen.  Does that change anything?

If you are under age 18, please note the law may provide your parents/guardians the right to provide consent for your treatment and to examine your treatment records. These laws allow for some exceptions; please discuss these with your clinician.

Back to Top

If I come for counseling, does that mean I’m mentally ill?

No. We offer help with a variety of issues that can feel overwhelming but are actually pretty common among college students. Some of these include adjusting to new academic demands, homesickness, dealing with parental expectations, choosing a major or career, dealing with difficult roommates, and dating/relationship issues. 

Back to Top

Can you tell me more about group therapy?

Each semester the Carruth Center offers a variety of group therapy options for students. Among these options are support groups, psychoeducational groups and workshops, and interpersonal process-oriented therapy groups. Groups we have offered in the past include: Manage Your Mood, Anxiety 101, Relationship 101, Qmmunity Group, Graduate Student Group, Undergraduate Understanding Self & Others Group, Social Anxiety Group, and Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction. Group offerings differ each semester in response to attending to the clinical needs of students seeking services at the Carruth Center.

Membership in a group is by appointment only. We do offer drop in groups each semester, but these will also require that you make an appointment with us. Please call us at 304-293-4431 if you are interested in joining a group.

Please note: we at the Carruth Center, as well as the university, are closely monitoring COVID-19 conditions, which may include the continued need to engage in social distancing measures into the Fall 2020 semester. The format of our group offerings may vary depending on conditions/measures in place at the start of the Fall 2020 semester. We are currently considering offering group services that may include face-to-face meetings with social distancing measures (i.e., offering smaller groups in a larger space), and groups offered via Telehealth virtual formats. Refer to our group webpage for updates on the Carruth Center group therapy offerings.

For further information about group services or to share ideas about a group you would like to see offered, please contact the Group Coordinator, Christine Simpson by phone at 304-293-4431 or email at

Back to Top

What if I’m in crisis?

If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, always call 911.

Psychological Emergencies (Monday through Friday 8:15 AM to 4:45 PM)

If you or someone you know is experiencing a crisis or psychological emergency when CCPPS is open (Monday – Friday, 8:15 AM to 4:45 PM) call us at 304-293-4431. Students can talk with a counselor during our drop-in hours without a scheduled appointment.

If you or someone else is experiencing a potentially life-threatening situation and need immediate attention, call either 911 or the University Police Department at 304-293-2677(COPS).

Back to Top

What if I have a previous diagnosis?  What if I already have a prescription for a stimulant medication from a physician outside of WVU?  Can I just have the prescription transferred?

For a variety of reasons, we would not simply continue to prescribe without first ensuring that a recent, appropriate assessment has been conducted, as outlined in our policy.  

  • First, many students that present to our center have not been comprehensively assessed in the past (e.g. they were diagnosed based on self-report alone).  

  • In other cases, their documentation may be appropriate, but was administered so long ago that it is no longer considered valid.  Research on ADHD demonstrates that a percentage of individuals who are diagnosed earlier in life may no longer warrant this diagnosis as adults.

  • Given the potential health risks associated with stimulant medications, it is important that a recent, comprehensive evaluation be conducted.  In addition, other factors that could account for attention difficulties need to be ruled out, as there are a number of individuals whose difficulties are wrongly identified as an attention disorder.

Back to Top

If I undergo testing at CCPPS, will I receive a diagnosis?

There is no way to determine ahead of time whether you will receive a diagnosis. Students we see undergo a comprehensive clinical interview, as well as objective testing to assess relevant areas of cognition, executive functioning, and sustained attention and/or impulse control.

After we conduct this test, the student will be scheduled for a follow-up session with their evaluator to review the report in detail, including both the results of the assessment as well as recommendations. It is during this feedback appointment that a diagnosis, if any, would be determined.

Back to Top

If I am diagnosed with ADHD, does that mean I will be prescribed medication?

Not necessarily. The actual decision whether to prescribe is made solely by CCPPS Psychiatrists, and they consider a number of factors in their practice.

Back to Top

If I receive a diagnosis, does that automatically grant me academic accommodations?

A diagnosis may provide the documentation necessary to inform decisions regarding accommodation eligibility, but it does not guarantee them.  First, that determination is not made by WVU CCPPS, but instead by the Office of Accessibility Services, which is the university department responsible for authorizing academic accommodations.  If you believe you have a learning or attention-related issue and would be eligible for such accommodations, we would encourage you to make an appointment with that office as a starting point.

Back to Top

If I do not receive a diagnosis, will I be reimbursed for the cost of testing?

Unfortunately, you would not be reimbursed.  What you are paying for is the professional time and expenses associated with this evaluation, and these costs are the same regardless of the diagnostic outcome.

Back to Top

Do you take insurance?

No, we do not bill insurance.  However, in some cases your insurance carrier may reimburse you for fees associated with testing. We can provide you with the documentation that may facilitate this process. Please check with your insurance provider to determine what is covered under your policy.

Back to Top

Other FAQ

Am I eligible for services?

How do appointments work?

How do I arrange for cognitive testing?

Do I have to have my testing performed at WVU CCPPS?

Why do things like sleep or substance use have to be considered in an ADHD or Learning Disorder evaluation?

Why does testing cost money?

What is the drop in clinic?

How do I know if I need counseling?

How do I know if I need individual or group counseling?

How does counseling work, anyway?

Stay Connected with The Carruth Center