Due to licensing restrictions, Carruth Center’s counselors are unable to provide care to students who are outside of West Virginia. If you are not in West Virginia, but want to talk with a counselor, you can use the My SSP app; these services are free.
If you would like assistance arranging care with a provider in your hometown, call 304-293-4431 and ask to speak with a care manager.
If you would like to resume care when you return to campus for the spring semester, contact your Carruth counselor directly or call 304-293-4431.
If you would like to begin counseling and are currently in West Virginia, call 304-293-4431 to discuss available options.
Update on Carruth's services
We hope you are staying healthy and as connected as you can to those who help you feel supported in these unprecedented times. We want to provide you with an update on our services.
Due to continuing challenges from COVID-19, as of March 25, Carruth staff began working remotely. This was not easy decision to make but we want to take every precaution to safeguard the health of our students and staff.
One step that we know from the experts is to practice social distancing by encouraging you to remain at home with your families and engage in online classes from there. This is also a step we can take to support you, ourselves, and the larger WVU community.
If you are participating in counseling at Athletics or at Health Sciences (BeWell) please contact your counselor for information about your care.
Please understand we want to protect our ability to serve students in need of mental health resources and to do that, we must limit our in-person services to those who are truly in crisis. This does not mean we are no longer offering services to students, but we need to shift how we do business to ensure safety.
Appointments during this time
If you are currently engaged in care, your clinician or their supervisor should have reached out to you directly. If this has not occurred and you want to continue counseling services, please contact us at 304-293-4431.
- If you are in West Virginia and want to continue services, contact your clinician directly. They will explain telehealth counseling and other options.
- If you are in West Virginia and have never been to the Carruth Center and would like to begin services, call us at 304-293-4431 and ask to schedule a phone triage so that we can talk with you about treatment possibilities.
- If you are currently outside of West Virginia and would like access to counseling services, you can access care through My Student Support Program. View the details on My SSP.
If you are experiencing a psychological/psychiatric emergency:
Groups and classes
Resources you can useWe offer many self help resources online: blog posts, Crisis Text Line information, self-care tips and more! Our resources page provides details on the many services that are available to you.
- Call the Carruth Center office 24/7 at 304-293-4431
- Go to the nearest emergency room
J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital
1 Medical Center Drive
Morgantown, WV 26505
Crisis Text Line
My SSP (Student Support Program)The Student Support Program, called My SSP, is an early intervention model that helps students address day-to-day challenges before they become bigger issues.
- Downloading the free My SSP App! (available from the App Store or Google Play).
- Calling 1-866-743-7732 from North America.
- Calling from outside North America, dial 001-416-380-6578.
- Visiting us.myissp.com and selecting West Virginia University.
- Access to clinical counselors: the student support advisors have experience working with students and speak multiple languages.
- Effective and convenient ways for students to access support via telephone, chat, video, mobile app or web.
- Immediate support is available via telephone, chat, the app, or the web:
- Telephone support is available in 30+ languages
- Chat, app, and web support is available in simplified Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Latin American Spanish, French, and English.
- Ongoing support is available by telephone or video.