Our college community is becoming increasingly aware of the amount of stress our students are experiencing and its negative impact on their health and academic performance. Student veterans and LGBTQ students may be facing additional challenges.
To address this concern, we have adopted a suite of FREE, online training simulations that will assist faculty, staff, and students to better identify, support, and refer these students to support services on campus. Each simulation (At-Risk, Veterans, and LGBTQ) allows the user to interact with student avatars, receive feedback, and test various approaches in a risk-free environment.
- Online, 24/7 accessibility (any computer with an internet connection)
- Built-in program assessment and tracking (modules can be completed in multiple sittings)
- Utilized by 650+ higher education institutions and listed in SPRC Best Practices Registry
- Each module takes approx. 30 mins. to complete
- Completion certificates available for training verification
To take any of the available courses:
- Go to: http://www.kognitocampus.com/login
- Select “Create a New Account”
- Use proper enrollment key
- Staff & Faculty: wvu664
- Students: wvu833
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Learn more about the Student Modules
Learn more about the Staff & Faculty Modules
This website was developed [in part] under a grant number 1U79SM061444-01 from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The views, policies, and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of SAMHSA or HHS.
Family of Heroes
WVU community members have access to this free program
designed to help the families and friends of returning veterans manage
expectations, understand common challenges, and identify signs of PTSD and
TBI. Family of Heroes is included in SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and
In Family of Heroes, users engage in three role-play conversations with fully animated and life-like avatars and learn to re-negotiate family responsibilities, deescalate arguments, and, when necessary, link a veteran or service member experiencing post-deployment stress with local support services. This innovative program is confidential and can be taken in private from any computer with an Internet connection.
To take the online, 60 minute course, users can follow the steps below:
- Go to:
- Click the orange "Start the Training"
- Use enrollment key: wvu